February 23, 2014 by New Capel Street: Fabric Division
When my last LRP character died, I decided to use a new one as an excuse to make nicely fitted costumes (aka kit) for myself, as well as for other people. I did quite well last year, making a bodice that was comfortable and looked nice with everything, a ‘murder robe’, as loose, coat-like hooded robes are called in LT, and a cloak which I’ve used more around the campfire after roleplay has timed out for the night than for actual in-character use. It makes a great blanket, too.
I lost 2 stone, (nearly 30 pounds) last year and most of that shit doesn’t fit any more. I’m not complaining. I think I look pretty damn good these days. Aaaanyway, back on topic. I had decided to roll up a fashion conscious character as an excuse to make myself some nice stuff semi-regularly, which means I have a totally legit reason to make new outfits this year!
So, take one bag of upholstery fabric and a dead fashiony-corset top, Simplicity 3809, and Broomhilda’s assistance, and you get:
The fit’s not perfect, but it’s better than anything I’ve made before. I think I sewed the front peplums on the wrong way around, but I like the way they look, so it’s not changing. They’re just sticky-outy enough that secret pockets stitched into them wouldn’t be noticeable.
I forgot to shorten the bodice straps before assembling, and so they’re a good four inches too long to work as designed in the pattern, aka eyelets and lacing. Anyway, I can’t insert eyelets for shit. So I put a buttonhole in each front strap, a button on the back, and then tacked the end of the front strap down once the buttons were closed. I think it looks pretty cute, in a just-off-the-boat sort of way.