March 27, 2013 by New Capel Street: Fabric Division
It’s a well-established Science Fact that I’m a terrible liar. Seriously, it’s true. (See what I did there?) It’s been the basis for many fun games of Werewolves and Battlestar Galactica, and a pretty consistent feature of the way I talk about my sewing projects. So let’s talk about that, will we?
I make kit for other larpers, and quite a lot of it. I usually do so over a long period of time, with lots of faffing time to procrastinate, fuck things up, learn techniques and generally end up finishing the item half an hour before its prospective owner comes over to pick it up. What usually works for me, then, is lots of notice. This is the complete opposite of what just happened. I was at a wedding two weeks ago, and got a text from a friend who’s gotten a few commissions from me before. It said “Check your PMs on FB. I’m sorry :P” and nothing else. Having just agreed to make him a basic tabard for an event on Easter weekend, I thought nothing of it, and checked Facebook later that night. Someone I vaguely knew from LARP, in that he’s in the same faction (read: in-character nation, or large group) as me, and in the same group as B, asking for a tabard. We got talking, and it quickly transpired that he wanted embroidery on it. A hound rampant, or whatever the heraldic name for that is, ten inches high and five across. The RSI in my hands was playing up, and it was two o’clock in the morning, and less than two weeks to the absolute last day I could finish the two tabards. I decided to go for it. *dramatic music*
This turned out to be a troublesome project right from the start. I had difficulty finding the right colour fabrics in a weight I liked, and the two colours in matching weights was nigh on impossible. Eventually I had to make do with polycotton from Hickeys. Just too lightweight to be easy to work with, but the perfect colours, brown and ‘gold’ where gold = buttercup yellow. I sucked it up and bought the fabric, and embroidery cotton.
I’m amazed that I managed to get the two tabards done in the time I did. Five days, including plenty of slack breaks and a morning off for a job interview. Here’s the proof: