March 20, 2013 by New Capel Street: Fabric Division
Last time I posted, I was sewing for a LARP event centred around a masquerade ball. That event took place last month, and I’ve been itching to see photos of my work being worn (in the case of the clothing) and displayed (in the case of the banners) since then. The lovely JK took portrait shots of several of the attendees, including:
Fergal’s Retrofuturistic Kilkenny Armour. In retrospect, the frustration and angst involved in making this particular garment were totally worth it. Even the funny incident where I cut the neck opening so small my head wouldn’t fit through, even when I struggled to put the sleeves on properly, and when I just wanted to set the damn thing on fire every time I looked at it.
The insertion of a side zip meant that the tunic is a slim fit, even for a slim man like Fergal. I tend to try things on as I’m working on them, although with a short, busty figure I am by no means an adequate dress dummy for Tall People’s Kit. I struggled to close this over my boobs. Luckily enough, it suits its intended wearer very well indeed, and he loves showing off the lining on the open trumpet sleeves. You may have guessed from the dramatic gesture in this photo!
These two outfits. These two lovely green velvet outfits. They nearly drove me insane. I’m nervous of velvet at the best of times, after an overambitious project early in my sewing days went badly wrong. I learned the importance of appropriate needles on this one, let me tell you! Let’s see, what did I cock up on the waistcoat? I attached the facing to the lining backwards, I cut the back lining too long and then overcompensated when sewing the neck, the vent at the back turned out puckered no matter what I did. Thankfully, the character that the waistcoat was made for has a tail, so the vent sits open wide enough for the tail to poke through comfortably. It’s like I did it on purpose! I also messed up the buttonholes, they’re uneven and not very pretty. But velvet and buttons hide the ugliness there, so I’m happy.
Sarah’s outfit I am delighted with. I didn’t make the corset or blouse, just the skirt and bolero. But look how prettily they turned out! I love the sleeves, and how they are slightly longer at the back than the front. The pattern called for fancy braid on the sleeves and back, but I thought that it would be overdoing it in addition to the ornate corset. I modified the pattern to add a closure at the front.